I love helping women feel more comfortable in their own skin. Have you noticed there are just some outfits that you love? You put them on, and they feel and look right. Chances are, that outfit positively accentuated your natural body shape. You were camouflaging your problem areas and enhancing your assets. With all body shapes, it is not about how big or small your frame is, it is about your specific proportions. We recently published a post about women with a triangle or pear body shape. Let us explore how to feel confident and comfortable if your body shape is an inverted triangle.
This inverted triangle body shape describes a woman’s proportions with broad shoulders, narrow torso, and slim hips. If you have an inverted triangle body shape, your typical characteristics are:
- A proportionally larger upper body than your hips;
- Broad shoulders and a full back;
- Typically a larger bust;
- Slim hips and your bottom may have a tendency towards the flatter side;
- Your waist is subtle, and you have a tendency to gain weight in your back and upper body;
- Your beautiful, shapely legs are one of your best assets.
One of my Golden Tribe besties has an inverted triangle-shaped frame. I am always envious of her shape when working out next to her. Even though she would be considered petite in height and overall size, she still appears statuesque in my eyes because of her beautiful shoulders and a strong back. She kills it in a v-neck top and palazzo pants. An exaggerated example of this body shape is a female Olympic swimmer. Sometimes an inverted triangle body shape is also called an athletic body shape, for apparent reasons. Some of the most celebrated, beautiful, and body-loved celebrities with an inverted triangle body shape: Renee Zellweger, Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Garner, and Demi Moore.
Now that we are in the 20’s, there is a lot of positivity and self-acceptance when it comes to embracing and loving your own body type. It is not about being big, small, or trying to look like someone else. It is about being aware of your shape and highlighting the areas that you love most about your own body. Here are a few tips on how you can make your body shape look more symmetrical if you have an inverted triangle body shape.
Creating Symmetry for an Inverted Triangle Body Shape
- Wear peplum tops to give shape and volume to your waist and hip areas.
- Select tops or dresses with “V” and “U” necklines.
- Choose sleeves that are either long or three quarters in length.
- You can also wear tops that are loose at the waist to give some volume.
- Belts that sit at your lower waist or hips will help to emphasize this area and balance out your shoulders and bust.
- Wear skirts or pants with front pleats and side pocket details.
- Wear pants that are bootcut, flared, wide leg, palazzo, or cuffed.
- Emphasize with your bottom half. As light colors bring forward and dark colors recede, select light, bright or patterned fabrics for pants and skirts to draw attention to this area.
- Wear flared skirts and dresses.
- Opt for chunky or embellished footwear.
Clothes for an Inverted Triangle Body Shape
Clothes to Avoid with an Inverted Triangle Shape
If you’re an inverted triangle, you need to play up your bottom half because your beautiful shoulders will play it up for you! Also, avoid these clothing options:
- Avoid boat neckline and wide scoop neckline. This will make your shoulders look broader.
- Refrain from tops and dresses that are too fitted at the waist.
- Do not wear short, cap, or off-the-shoulder sleeves. This will make your shoulders look more full.
- Avoid wearing high neck tops and dresses as it will add visual weight to your bust area.
- Bypass shoulder features like shoulder pads, pleats, ruffled, ruched, and billowy sleeves that will make your shoulders look broader.
- Shy away from slim, cigarette, skinny or tapered pants and skirts
- Stay away from dark-colored bottoms as they will further minimize your smaller portions below the waistline.
Inverted Triangle Body Shape Summary
One of the advantages of an inverted triangle body shape is as you mature in age, this slender boyish silhouette (athletic body) is typically associated with youth. So, remember to highlight the areas that you love most about your own physique and dress accordingly. If you need more help, you can always check out our fashion section for other outfit tips and inspirations.
Share your body shape outfits, experiences, or lessons learned in the comment section below. I am here to answer any questions on how to dress if you have an inverted body shape. So please shoot me a question.