As you may have already noticed most pieces of clothing look good on your rectangle body shape. Wearing clothes that make you feel more confident has a positive impact on your attitude, perspective, and mindset. Yet, as with any body shape, you need to be aware of what pieces and outfits will work best so that you feel self-assured and beautiful every day.
As with all body shapes, it is not about how big or small your frame is, it is about your specific proportions. A rectangle body shape is more akin to the banana than your cousin’s apple body shape, pear body shape, or inverted triangle body shape. This is not an unfavorable remark, but more of a jealous observation from someone that has too many curves and is constantly fidgeting to make clothes lay more smoothly. You are typically long and lean and find it difficult to put on extra weight. We all secretly hate you.
Your rectangle body shape describes a woman’s proportions where the bust, waist, and hips have similar measurements. If your body is shaped like a rectangle, your typical characteristics are:
- Average to small size bust;
- Narrow hips;
- The waistline is undefined;
- Minimal booty;
- Slender and straight body frame;
- Your lean, trim arms and legs are some of your best assets.
My younger sister has a rectangle body shape. Always has, always will. She is tall, long, and lean. Bitch. Like most rectangles, she has a boyish or athletic quality to her shape. I actually think almost anything looks good on her. However, she routinely creates volume with her personal style adding layers and accessories to make her slim body appear more feminine and shapely. She got the height, I got the boobs. We could fight over who won, but I concede this match to her. Some notable, and body-loved celebrities with a rectangle body shape are Nicole Kidman, Gwyneth Paltrow, Keira Knightley, and Naomi Watts.
I love helping women feel more content in their own skin. No matter your height, weight, or shape. Even though a rectangle would look good in a paper bag, there are some tips and tricks to achieving a more curvy and feminine frame, if you so desire. Typically the objective is to produce an hourglass form, so the main emphasis for a rectangle body shape is to create the illusion of a waistline.
Emphasizing Positive Characteristics for a Rectangle Body Shape
- Belts, detailing, embellishments, cut-outs, or color blocking around the waistline will assist in giving the illusion of a waistline;
- Select printed fabrics;
- Choose high-rise pants or skirts as they will hit at the smallest part of your waist;
- Dresses that cinch the waist and have a subtle flair like an empire-waist, wrap dress, or sheath give the appearance of a smaller waist;
- Jackets with a fitted and tailored waistline help to achieve the hourglass shape;
- Tops with cap, ruffled, ruched, and billowy sleeves and details of strong shoulders help to create volume to your upper half which will make your waistline appear smaller;
- Wear peplum tops to cinch your waistline and create volume through your hips;
- Wear a supportive or push-up bra to create the illusion of larger breasts;
- Any dress or skirt that is flared or a-line as well as pants that are bootcut, flared, or wide-leg, palazzo, or cuffed will create a sense of volume;
- Choose shorter skirts and dresses (especially flared or a-line) to emphasis your lean legs;
- Use horizontal, diagonal lines, and items cut on the bias to give shape, curves, and fullness to the body.
Create a Waistline
Tops for a Rectangle Body
Dresses if You Have a Rectangle Body Shape
Skirts To Play Up Your Assets
Suitable Pants for the Rectangle Body
Clothes to Avoid with a Rectangle Body Shape
If you have a rectangle body shape, you need to play up your lean features while also creating volume at the same time. It seems like an oxymoron but it is actually quite straightforward. You have one of the most forgiving of shapes because of your symmetrical body parts. Unlike a triangle or an inverted triangle body shape where the emphasis is weighted to one area. Nevertheless, there are still a few obstacles to avoid for the lucky rectangle.
- Refrain from dresses that are columnar as it will only emphasize your rectangle shape;
- Shy away from slim, cigarette, skinny or tapered pants and pencil or tube skirts;
- Steer clear of head-to-toe vertical stripes;
- Avoid sashes and belts that hang below your natural waist.
Rectangle Body Shape Summary
One of the biggest compliments that you can do each day is to smile back at yourself in the mirror. Highlight the areas that you love most about your own body and always dress to make yourself happy. Screw what others may think, it is about you, not them. If you need more help, you can always check out our Fashion Section for other outfit tips and inspirations.
Share your body shape outfits, experiences, or lessons learned in the comment section below. I am here to answer any questions on how to dress if you have a rectangle body shape. I would love to hear from you.