Collagen is a protein that gives your skin structure and strength. As we age, collagen and elastin production diminishes, resulting in loss of firmness, rough skin texture, and increased wrinkles. Ok, that all sounds depressing!
Using advanced skincare and treatment techniques, using specific makeup, taking collagen supplements, and eating more collagen rich foods will all help to build your elastin. That means firmer healthier skin, plus stronger and more vibrant hair and nails in our near future. Well I am feeling better now. Collagen cocktail anyone?
Collagen is a long term relationship that takes time to see the visual benefits. But once you start to bond, you will continue to gain healthier and more youthful-looking skin year after year. I look for ways to incorporate additional collagen producers into my daily lifestyle practically on an hourly basis, and you should likewise. There are three main categories to help improve this relationship.
1. Skincare Products & Treatment Techniques
Peptides can penetrate the top layer of the skin, where they go to work delivering their anti-aging benefits, such as helping stimulate collagen production and fight fine lines and wrinkles. Look for serums and masks that contain retinoids or Vitamin C along with peptides. Moisturizers with restorative collagen properties are good too, yet you will get more bang for your buck with serums (since they penetrate deeper into the skin).
There are several at-home tools on the market that boost the performance of these products. One is a derma-roller. It is a high-precision micro-exfoliator which effectively revitalizes the uppermost layer of skin to visibly firm your skin. After rolling, the absorption and efficacy of the products are maximized by greater access to the surface of the skin. IMO, I feel like the best one on the market is found here. Another effective tool is a facial massager which helps with lymphatic drainage and stimulates your skin giving your face a beautiful glow.
I’m also an advocate of in-office treatments. I equate it to dental care. Your daily routines are going to be the very effective, yet every few months, you need a more in-depth treatment to maximize the effects of your daily treatments. Most of these office treatments work over time, so be patient with the results. It takes time to regenerate new, firmer skin.
- SkinPen Microneedling uses collagen injection therapy, the treatment creates many microscopic channels in the dermis, thereby stimulating new collagen and elastin.
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) uses a small amount of your own blood, then the platelet-rich plasma is injected into your face or neck. Within a few days after the injections, your growth factors are released and start making new collagen, fibrin matrix, angiogenesis, and new cells.
- Pelleve Radio Frequency Treatment delivers heat to deep layers of the skin where fat resides. This deep heat therapy initiates the contraction of these deep tissues causing them to begin to produce collagen for an overall smoothing effect over a period of time.
2. Makeup Products
I am a fan of products that you continually apply to the face and lips throughout the day, which invigorates the skin receiving numerous benefits. Look for a combination of the following ingredients in your foundation, concealer, powder, and color items:
- Collagen: Supports skin elasticity for a youthful, smooth appearance.
- Peptides: Help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and support natural collagen for the look of smoother, firmer skin.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Locks in moisture, supports skin elasticity and diminishes the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
3. Collagen Supplements
Supplements are by far the easiest way to benefit from collagen peptides. Look for ones that contain multiple food sources like beef, chicken, fish, and eggshell, so you are getting several types of collagen. Powders and liquids are the most popular because they are easy to incorporate into most meals. My preference are ones that are not flavored (choose odorless and tasteless). That way I can mix them into almost anything I’m eating or drinking. Cue the collagen cocktails!! Seriously, I really do incorporate them into my smoothies, coffee, yogurt, tuna fish, soups, or guacamole (the list is endless). I even travel with collagen single use packets.
Collagen Can Help Turn Back the Hands Of Time
Collagen is your anti-aging powerhouse. Each day, collagen production declines — it has been happening the entire time you have been reading this post! Yet, increasing collagen levels can help your skin look firmer, improving smoothness, and help your skin cells keep renewing and repairing regularly. So by the time you read my next article, you will be looking younger. I might not even recognize you!